The LBNL Electricity Markets and Policy Group's work on driving demand for home energy efficiency improvements explores strategies that can be used to increase the adoption of comprehensive home energy upgrades. Because there is no single solution for how to drive demand, and many communities are learning more about what works right now, we've created this webpage and the email lists noted below to share resources as they are developed. Please let us know if you have resources you want to share, or questions about our work by emailing us.
Driving Demand for Home Energy Improvements
Fuller, M., C. Kunkel, M. Zimring, I. Hoffman, K.L. Soroye, and C. Goldman. LBNL-3960E. September 2010
[Low resolution full report, 17.4 MB PDF; High resolution full report, 58.1 MB PDF]
Executive Summary (excerpt) [193 KB PDF]
Key Lessons for Program Designers (excerpt) [177 KB PDF]
Case Studies are available in Appendix A of the report, or below as individual pdfs:
- Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) Weatherization Program [112 KB PDF]
- Energy Smackdown [237 KB PDF]
- Hood River Conservation Project (HRCP) [184 KB PDF] [Hood River Program Documents]
- Houston’s Residential Energy Efficiency Program (REEP) [122 KB PDF]
- Jasper Energy Efficiency Project (JEEP) [109 KB PDF]
- Keystone Home Energy Loan Program (HELP) [186 KB PDF]
- Long Island Green Homes (LIGH) [107 KB PDF]
- Marshfield Energy Challenge [144 KB PDF]
- New London Resource Project (NLRP) [106 KB PDF]
- NYSERDA’s Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program [160 KB PDF]
- Take Charge Challenge [137 KB PDF]
- Twin Cities One Stop Program [182 KB PDF]
- Vermont Community Energy Mobilization (VCEM) Project [103 KB PDF]
- WeatherizeDC [109 KB PDF]
Heard the Latest?
Sign up to receive periodic updates about the latest reports, policy briefs and webinars developed by LBNL’s Electricity Markets and Policy Group.
To join the listserve group, please fill out this quick form.
Overview of Report Findings & Lessons from Minnesota
September 29, 2010, 3:00 - 4:15 ET
Slides and Audio
This webinar covers the major findings of the report and highlights one of the case studies — Center for Energy and Environment's "One Stop" Community Energy Services Program, which puts participants on a conveyor belt to energy savings, including reinforcement of good energy habits, installation of low cost materials, and major home energy improvements.
Will knocking on doors get more homeowners to upgrade their homes? Hear from energy efficiency program managers who are running door-to-door outreach campaigns about what works and what doesn't. Learn from experts who have used door-to-door outreach for political campaigns and neighborhood sustainability programs. Tracking your impact will be vital to learn what works; we'll review some of the key metrics to collect.
Contractors are often the primary sales force for home energy upgrades. This webinar highlights programs that actively engage the contractor community in program design and implementation. We also will hear directly from several contractors about their views on best practices for driving demand.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory reports on the energy efficiency services sector workforce size, expectations for growth, and training needs. Logan Brown from Efficiency Vermont discusses VEIC's contractor development program, including supporting contractors with cooperative marketing and training in business management. Attendees also hear results from Efficiency Maine's contractor training program, as well as options and best practices for developing sales training for contractors — to help them drive demand for energy efficiency programs and measures.
Experimental design is often used to increase certainty about the actual impacts of a program - and what strategies are worth repeating going forward. There are many ways to add additional rigor to the "experiments" funded by the Recovery Act. This webinar will review some experimental design techniques and give examples of how they might fit into your programs.
Resources for Program Managers:
- Best Practices for an Email Campaign [2.9 MB PPTX]. Ideas for the effective use of email communication for programs including links to additional tools and resources for running a successful campaign.
- Social Media Tips & Strategies [334 KB PDF]. A list of resources and tips for running your own social media marketing campaign.
- Listening to the Voice of the Participant Process [237 KB PDF]. A process guide for taking open-ended survey questions and generating actionable items for program improvement.
- Converting the Assessment into an Upgrade: Resources for Program Managers & Contractors [165 KB PDF]. A list of sales training resources and tips for programs and contractors selling energy efficiency.
- Integrating Experimental Design into Energy Efficiency Programs: Tool to determine statistical significance of upgrade & conversion rate results [18 KB XLS]
- Memo to State and Territory Energy Officials on QECBs [62 KB PDF]. Provides a brief description of Qualified Energy Conservation Bonds (QECBs) and provides additional links and resources for program managers to get more information.
LBNL Electricity Markets and Policy Group Publications:
Check out the Energy Efficiency publications to see the most recent reports, policy briefs, case studies and presentations on LBNL’s work with energy efficiency programs across the nation.
Merrian Goggio Borgeson